April 4, 2005

Mountain Mama

A short story called the "I likes..."

I liked riding the bus and putting my knees against the back of the seat in front of me.

I liked spending the night at Rachel's so we could play on the balcony.

I liked hitting the side of the barrel with my knee at my first rodeo and showing everyone the red paint "scar" on my jeans.

I liked listening to "In the Mood" and hearing MaMa tell me for the umpteenth time that she used to love to dance to that song with PaPa.

I liked eating Planter's Cheese balls and drawing on carbon paper with PaPa.

I liked digging in the doodle granny holes with a little stick at Polly's house, while singing "Doodle granny, doodle granny, your house is on fire!"

I liked sitting around the pool late at night listening to Billy and Steve and Daddy talking while I swam and all I could see was the lightening bugs in the big oak tree above me and the occasional glow of their cigarettes.

I liked waking up at 2:00 am to ride with Daddy to go on wrecker calls.

country road take me home to the place I belong

4 comments:

  1. I liked sitting on my grandmother's weatherd, blue paint-chipped porch while cracking fresh-picked green beans in large plastic tubs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked picking up Magnolia leaves at my grandparents farm for 1 penny per 50 leaves, I (still) like climbing trees, I liked passing notes with Rob in Mrs. Highs social studies class, and I liked laughing till I drooled in your bedroom with the ivy decor, watching you draw stories of our future families with Brad Pitt and Val Kilmer, and Gerri Peace's do it yourself make-out-in-the-corner pose! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh yea, and I liked the smell of Prancer :( and the way the air tasted like alfalfa and wood shavings after shoveling horse manuer all day in the summertime. I know you can relate-

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember the blue paint-chipped porch (popular color for most "MaMa's") AND the plastic tubs...which I actually could fit in when I was very small and we'd get to take baths in them (or the kitchen sink--the most fun actually)

    I like smelling horse flesh in the winter time when its so cold out your nose is stinging and you press your face against their warm, soft neck and breathe in that faint, dusty smell of their fur...like old leather...its so hard to describe. I love it!

    ReplyDelete