December 2, 2005

The Ridge and the holler

Driving to Greenville this week, I stumbled across a vintage country station and found Randy Travis singing "Hard Rock Bottom of your Heart". This song brought back memories I haven't thought about in many years. Good memories.

The station, Rocky Ridge Road, Daddy & Joe turkey hunting, the swimming pool, Roy Kellett's storytelling, riding on the Ridge road with Tommy Simmons, picking up wrecks with Daddy, swinging in the oak tree behind the house, watching meteor showers at the farm. The list goes on. Vintage country, why? It's because for over 40 years, the upstate has had the same country FM station and that was always on when we had to go to the station with Mama or Daddy. Grant and I would entertain ourselves out behind the store, playing "Enchanted Forest"...or playing "house" in Mama's Isuzu trooper. Or the scavenger hunts across the parking lot. The smell of burning leaves and wood early in the morning when the air was crisp and cold and the sky was a bright blue without a cloud...waking up in a big, oversized t-shirt to see Joe & Daddy's turkeys...riding in the CJ-5 with Dennis and Margaret Ann down the Long Branch Rd...it was good to grow up in the backcountry. And I'll always love vintage country.

No comments:

Post a Comment