OmahaSomewhere in middle America
Get right to the heart of matters
It's the heart that matters more
I think you better turn your ticket in
And get your money back at the door
Today, the first day of February 2006 my husband, the Master, was laid off from his job.
After the initial shock wears off and your foreman assures you that he didn't see it coming, he pats you on the back and says a few empty words of false comfort and offers to walk you to the gate. You pack up your tools and your lunch box and head for the door...doing your best not to look back. The hard part is driving home in the middle of the day to tell your wife and your family that it's happened again.
The first year we married, the Master came home on a Friday at lunch time...12:32 to be exact, I watched him through the blinds as he pulled into the gravel drive. He hopped out of the truck with nothing in his hands but his welding hat. I already knew. He came to the door and asked me to sit on the swing with him, and I felt uncertainty for the first time in my short little life. I still had a semester of college and no job...he was the breadwinner and that all changed in one day. We used to joke with our friends when they'd come to visit that all we had to eat was ice cubes...and that was pretty much the truth. That's a scary place that I never wanted to go back to, but here we are...again.
The Master has one more Union job offer...in Omaha, Nebraska.
No comments:
Post a Comment