Today I almost backed into another car as I pulled out of the post office. Since my recent run of bad luck, I've felt overly stressed and I think that's taking a toll on my train of thought as well. I put my mail on the passenger side seat, move the shifter into reverse and back out slowly.
(extremely loud) HONK!
I turn to look and see a white car barely missing my back side. I didn't even see her. I say a Hail Mary and give her the apologetic, "Sorry I almost creamed you ma'am" and go on my way. Then I hear her rev up her engine and swerve back into the post office, all the while honking her horn. I think, "She must be mad at the kids in the back seat...or must've dropped her Newport in the floorboard during all the confusion." No, she's honking at me. I should've known this--I mean, where did I think I was, Manhattan? Where this sort of incident would merit a honk and a finger and both drivers would be on their merry way, wiping the sweat off their brow; thankful for not being in a fender bender....but no, we are in Enoree. So this type of incident includes much much more than just a feeble hand gesture.
The lady proceeds to lean completely out of her window, shouting / cursing and pointing at me..."You better watch wher' you goin' biatch!"
I, of course, am dumbfounded. I thought the whole interference was over---I wasn't expecting this outburst of flattery from the other driver...but that's my own stupidity. I should've realized that she would want to fight. After all that's what we all did in fifth grade if someone borrowed our Hello Kitty box and broke it. I must've had a look of complete shock on my face....disbelief...she really caught me off guard. I already felt really bad that I almost did this---who cares about her Mitsubishi Eclipse, I'M the one with everything to lose!!
I drive off, shaking my head and trying to shake the whole thing off...I think to myself, just calm down--look at where you are, this is the way these people act...you can't expect them to just blow horns and drive off, these people need action--they feed off it, they want an excuse to kick some white cracker's ass. I guess she was in the mood for it.
I pull in my drive and let out a deep breath. I try not to let the stress get to me. I think back and I realize that I know the girl who just finished cussing me for all I was worth. We went to Brownie Girl Scouts together....I used to spend the night with her all the time during the summer when we were in third grade. She played at my house...we were best friends.
I try to make myself feel even better by remembering that she chose to drop out of high school in the ninth grade in order to pursue a rewarding career at Inman Mills, which is now no longer standing due to the plant closing several years ago. I wonder what she's doing now---most likely babies on both hips...and obviously contiuning our little town's tradition of cursing and stomping anyone who might not be a regular at the Carriage House.
I think what Tammy really meant to say was, "Stand by your man ONLY if he's worth standing by in the first place..."
No comments:
Post a Comment