July 24, 2006

It's Aliiiiiiiiiive!

Since April 25, 2006, Backcountry Research has been temporarily on hold due to my first home being on the market and just recently signed under contract. And now, back to blogging.

Current events for the past four months include:

April--The creek pad is "officially" put on the market, and the slow process of organizing a life of stable details into a mobile frenzy begins. The Master embarks on his second work assignment in Omaha, NE / Council Bluffs, IA. The long days at the lottery seem to never end.

May--The idea of joining the Master becomes more of a reality than just a fleeting idea, and so begins the constant debate of whether to leave the lottery and join the Master on the road. Numerous appointments to show the house are made and then broken...several so-called hits, but nothing solid leading to more frustration with the house selling situation.

June--I put in my resignation and my last day with the SC Education Lottery was June 23! I had a great time with my co-workers for a going away shindig at the pub...the Master returned home from Nebraska...we packed up all of our belongings...we purchased our "new home" -- the travel trailer and packed it with the rest of our life that isn't in our parents' attics.
Finally we hit the road for Ashland, Virginia near the end of June and stayed for several weeks for his next assignment...we learned that we had another interested party in our house and crossed our fingers that they may be the "ones"!

July--We return home for two days to finish up the move and sign a contract on the house. We leave for Chicago, Illinois in late July and learn that we will be here for at least two months before traveling to Kansas on our next assignment. Hopefully the house will sell this time!

We've had such a busy summer---we are now official gypsies or travellers. Ridicule if you must--but I must say, I enjoy having America as my backyard...sharing the open road with everyone, meeting all different types of people and waking up every morning happy. No more migraines...I almost feel as if I live on a movie set and the director is going to knock on my camper door any second. Okay, now you can stab.

Our days consist of being lazy (when we can, which isn't often b/c we're always so busy)--Dolly and I are always on the go---there is always something to explore or see. A lot of people ask me what my profession is now, or how I like this change of pace from corporate America---and I say, "I'm a writer, I'm a photographer---I'm documenting my travels with my husband and our dog...and I'm enjoying every minute."

2 comments:

  1. wow. this was very exciting to read. it's good to hear you having fun out there on the road. can't wait to see the photography.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rob--once I catch up with myself and have time to sit down I may get some pics up of the rig...btw, your West photos were beautiful!

    ReplyDelete