November 25, 2007

There's a lot to tell since my last post. Apologies for the break, I know my audience has endured a heavy loss. (Insert laughter from audience).

During most of October, the bossman planted us in Dothan, Alabama. The weather was fantastic and the town, well, the same as the last. We explored southern Alabama and most of the Chattahoochee region for several weeks and packed up again for Chicago after Halloween. Our Halloween festivities included Rob Zombie, and Norma Rae and an adult dancer named "Skye". Fortunately she didn't come home with me, although I think she would have liked to.
After all the Alabama fun, we met that familiar chill of Illinois wind as we drove north to Chicago. We only had to put up with the icy attitudes and arctic temperatures for one week and then we greased the rig for it's second cross country trip of the year.

Our journey began on I-39 and ended on I-5. For you truckers, you should be able to follow that route pretty easily. We ran into some trouble on the other side of Des Moines when we noticed the inverter on the camper decided to quit and leave us with no refrigerator on the road. We found an RV serviceman in Council Bluffs who got us moving again, and we drove all the way through Nebraska the next day. The weather cooperated until we hit Sterling, Colorado. We set up around 7 pm and awoke at 7 am to find 2 inches of snow on the ground and still falling. If we were staying put, I'd say it was beautiful; however, knowing our 20,000 tow load I was a little nervous about the road ahead.
We drove through the Rockies that morning, avoiding the chain law we made it with no mishaps and enjoyed the scenic beauty of the snowy mountains near Vail and Aspen. (This was in between squeezing my eyes shut and grabbing my holy crapola bar).
We decided to stop again in Green River, Utah. By this time it had dropped to 16 degrees, so we were faced with the bathhouse but we endured. The next morning we woke up to the gorgeous plateaus of eastern Utah. Being Thanksgiving, we ate a hearty breakfast with the teamsters down at the truck stop and headed out again.

We stopped a lot throughout Utah, there was so much to see. We saw ravens as big as buzzards and I think I may have caught a glimpse of the Delorian being chased by the calvary---the bossman swears he saw Chevy Chase with his pants tied around his head.
Utah was amazing, put it on your list of places to see!

We didn't stop again until we reached Las Vegas, but we did drive through a small portion of Arizona, just north of the Grand Canyon. The sights in just that short drive were spectacular!
We rolled into Vegas around lunchtime and stayed 2 nights. The bossman wasn't too impressed with the lights and hoopla, but he did appreciate the time and effort the Nevada linemen put into all those transmission lines.

Our final day of travel only took about four hours and we finally saw the Pacific around three o'clock. Thankfully we arrived safely and with no other disasters (except for a nagging migraine). We've taken the past two days to explore Oceanside, California and so far, we're hooked. I don't think I'll be able to get this camper back on the road again. If you're in the area, check out the historic Hwy 101 cafe--great food, lots of locals, and plenty of history...the entire village stopped in 1962. The bossman is in love--it's hard not to love everything about this place. The Beach Boys call Oceanside home--it's truly "Surf City, U.S.A.".
For now, it's home to us...I'll keep everyone updated on the latest--and if I see Clint Eastwood.

No comments:

Post a Comment