December 2, 2008

Wrecker Calls

We spent most of our weekend listening to Mitchell's wrecker and station stories. This always brings up thoughts of family members and friends who are long gone from accidents behind the wheel and motorcycle.

I recently found another blogger who's taking a different approach at reaching her audience through her own loss. Some may consider it controversial, I say judge for yourself. She is currently speaking with South Carolina teens in high schools across the state and encouraging them to think before they drink. Check out her site, Griffen's Gift.

All the horror stories we've heard throughout our own youth, the wrecked cars parked on the junior high lawn, and the funerals continue to haunt me. I guess it's the sudden increase in highway patrolmen we notice this time of year that remind me of the wrecker call days.
Most teens didn't see their Dad haul in a bloody Mustang after Thanksgiving dinner, I wish I hadn't. Maybe it had its advantages...good lessons for a young kid with a new license. Most of my friends didn't come over much after we got to high school, I think my Dad scared most of them away during my fifth grade birthday party (I'm still so sorry guys!)...so I was alone with those wrecks a lot.

Heavy stuff to weigh on a teen-ager's mind, but it stuck. I'm certainly not a teen-ager anymore, and sometimes I wonder what is the hardest part about getting older...I guess it's remembering when you were young.

No comments:

Post a Comment