After reading and rereading stories about my new home, I've considered renaming my blog Lowcountry Research. But I guess backcountry covers low, high, over yonder and way out there country...so the title remains.
I live on Saint Helena Island. The only sea island not zoned for resorts and private communities. It's all backcountry here, all the way out to the Lands End. Recently I started digging up some local bones, if you will, about my new community. I always like to know who and what I'm sharing. The old man and myself have decided to grow roots again...and for some reason the ground here must sense our intentions because I've noticed the dirt seems to sink around me as I walk, as if it's trying to keep me here. I don't protest. I investigate.
Seems that most regular white folk don't have a clue and don't want to have a clue about the dealings of coastal communities and their backcountry practices. The island people of Saint Helena beg to differ, they are proud descendants firmly connected to their African religious beginnings.
If you drive out past the old Chapel of Ease, the road turns to the right and keeps right on going straight to the ocean. A visitor will pass the Penn Center, the first school built for freed slaves during the Civil War...it's the most enchanting drive home as I pass beneath the gnarled live oaks, dripping with Spanish moss. Locals claim they've seen the Lands End Light...spirits, most likely connected to the Civil War or a slave hung from a live oak near the end of the road. I still haven't seen it, but that doesn't mean I've stopped looking.
It also seems that Saint Helena is the home of the famous and revered Dr. Buzzard. Many will remember his name from the popular book (and film of the same title) Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil ; only his wife plays a more significant part and the audience only sees his grave site. Dr. Buzzard is a household name for most on the island that are involved in the Gullah / Geechee culture. A root doctor, who learned his trade from his father, Dr. Buzzard's advice was always in high demand with locals dealing with the law. A more detailed story outlining Dr. Buzzard describes his hoodoo and voodoo talents.
On a more personal note, an ancestor of mine may be the link to my crafty character. Barbara Powers was one of the last in America to be tried of witchcraft, a little to the north and over to the right in Lancaster county.
Wow. Damn.
ReplyDeleteYESSS! Accused witchery in the family! Well I guess we're not the only ones eh? haha (if they only knew we're the GOOD kind...or just wannabes ;) Love it. I'm coming out there too, you kids just wait on me!
ReplyDelete