April 22, 2009

P.S. I'm popular

I woke up early this morning, well I say morning...I guess it was the dead hour of three o'clock to be precise. Not only is this not the best hour to wake up alone, but it's not the best of times to hear a prowler outside your camper either. When is a good time to hear a prowler? Don't answer that.
For some reason I already knew who it was. The little bastard had been here before, so I jumped out of bed and stamped on the floor (thinking these loud thuds would scare him off). I flicked on the porch light and peered through the blinds. There he was. The masked bandit, back for more.
He was trying with all his might to open my plastic dog food tote, and eventually he'll figure it out--givse him a couple more nights to practice.
I opened the front door and watched him scatter (most likely to his friends hiding just beyond the geezer screen). Fifteen minutes later, he was back. Again, I opened the front door and he ran. Finally he gave up for the night / morning and I got a little sleep.
If he comes back tonight, I'm going to attempt the Donk approach--I don't care if she has to whip out some redneck dog chow, she'll show her little ass and keep these critters quarantined.


UPDATE: He came back again last night, this time a little early. It was only 11:00, and Dolly was still up. I opened the door to let her take a peek, and as soon as she spotted him she froze. Half in, half out of the doorway. I nudged her down the steps and that's all it took--she was off like a flash. I heard her make some sort of gargled bark noise as she made the chase. I think she was scared out of her wits but felt she needed to muster up some sort of scary dog noise to let that raccoon know who's boss. It must have worked, he didn't come back last night. After bounding up the steps, she collapsed on the floor and rolled to her "pet my tummy" position. She got a scratch or two for doing such a swell job.

No comments:

Post a Comment