In the spirit of prom season, I rambled through the photo sets to reminisce over my own junior-senior soirees. My junior prom stands out in my mind, not only because it was Heith's first--but the first time I was sick-o-psycho in love. I didn't care if he showed up in cowboy boots and his welding coveralls...that's just how much sick.My sick-o-psycho infatuation with Camaros began not long before I fell into the downward spiral of teen-age lust, so naturally once Heith and I started dating he noticed my odd behavior whenever we spotted a Camaro. The fridge was covered with Camaro clippings and handmade signs for the Easter Bunny, Santa, the toothfairy, and all the other parent put-ons in hopes that one day the driveway would make room for my own muscle-car machine.
Finally, the day came. May 2, 1998. The day I took my first ride in a Chevrolet Camaro. Correction, I guess the first time I really rode in a Camaro was in 1976...when I was still just a twinkle in two newlyweds' eyes. Maybe that's the secret to my motor madness.
Behind my back, Heith concocted a plan to steal whatever was left of my heart. He surprised me with a Camaro as our ride to the prom...a black one. Heith borrowed his cousin's car for one night to make my Detroit daydreams finally come true. (I don't think it helped Mitch or Dale because a year later they broke down and bought me my own.)
Deodorant doesn't work, it never has...well, at least not on me. And you can bet your ass it didn't work at all that night.
It was the most creative, most thoughtful gift I had ever received...and I'll never forget it.
Ten years later, he didn't laugh when I asked him to stop as we passed by Colleen sitting in the yard of a singlewide trailer. He still didn't laugh when I signed the check and drove her home. I guess he sees something in me. I still see it in him.
"Look, in my opinion the best thing you can do is find a person who loves you for exactly what you are. Good mood, bad mood, ugly, pretty, handsome, what-have-you. The right person is still going to think the sun shines out of your ass. That's the kind of person that's worth sticking with." -- Mac MacGuff, Juno final script
I love that prom picture of you two!! :)
ReplyDeleteOooohhhh, I LOVE that quote.....how true it is!!!
ReplyDeleteBeth :~)