June 16, 2009

Black Pearls

Our search for a new home continues. We can't decide between these two bewitching old homes that are both sinister and haunting. The first I discovered abandoned, sitting on 150 acres in southern Alabama. The house still holds several antique pieces under dust cloths from its last tenant (I'm told from 1942). One exceptionally stunning piece is the vintage Wurlitzer pipe organ...I realize I'm unable to play; but I already hear the walls echoing Toccata and Fugue in D Minor already. Is the home too disturbing? Too menacing, frightful? Yes, it is...and it's perfect.
I found this elegant and eclectic home perched on a high hill overlooking 50 acres of open field. Both homes are a significant distance from any "town" and their addresses reflect their bizarre appearances. 85 Ravenwood Road...1408 Krueger Lane.
There isn't much left in this home...no furniture, but several trunks in the attic that are sold with the house. The realtor has no idea what's inside the trunks, and they were the only parcels left after the family decided to sell the property.

These houses, to me, seem the type to keep you completely secluded with the exception of a small herd of cows or a couple of horses. Not so much a reclusive existence as Norman Bates or Ed Gein, but just a general sense of peace. No hassle from unexpected visiting neighbors, maybe just the occasional group of curious kids daring to ring the doorbell.

2 comments:

  1. Grant wants to know what our address reflects since we live off of Jersey Ave?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Watch out for cow plops!

    ReplyDelete