February 10, 2005

9:00 Vampire

My great aunt had a dairy farm that she had to run by herself during the second world war. MaMa went to stay with her and help on the farm. Aunt Patsy had German POW's that would work on the farm too. The military would bring them in a big truck each morning. MaMa didn't have her license but would sneak and drive anyway if they had to go to town. The soldiers would sometimes ride in the back.

Two of them got away.


Years later I go with MaMa to visit Aunt Patsy. They sit in the living room while I wander around the house looking for her box of toys, assuming she had one because every Grandmother did. There was a scratching sound coming from the ceiling in the hallway. What could be making that noise? I assure you it was most likely a mouse or some rodent in the attic. As a child I imagined it was the two German soldiers, their bodies were old and withered...trapped up there for over fifty years. They had escaped and found refuge in the attic...now barely breathing, sitting on the floor...scratching at the attic door.
I didn't like going to Aunt Patsy's after that. They should've never told me that those two got away.
To this day, whoever bought the farm should check the attic. Two rotting corpses sitting on the floor with a faded old checkerboard in front of them...their fingernails worn to the bone.

Satani

2 comments:

  1. Wow. It does make you wonder what happened to them though.

    And my grandmother had a box of toys too. I always remember there being a ball in there and an old doll that had a string in the back of her head that would say 3 prerecorded statements when you pulled it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MaMa's box had "hand-me-down" toys from older cousins...so you can imagine playing with the 1972 Barbie Airplane terminal and the tin can of pick up sticks. Now that you mention it...that box is now MIA...wooooo.

    ReplyDelete