August 21, 2005

platter pronounced "plattah"

Every year at the power company annual meeting, the president stands up and thanks all of his "M PLOY YEEZ" for everything they do. Sometimes during Sunday afternoon dinner, Dad will pronounce water as "watah" which can go with either his New Yorker background or his deep South background. The Master, on the other hand, loves to tell us about the great city of "Laun-dun" whenever he feels a little British.

I decided to do some digging up of my own and look what I found. The only sixth grader to dress up in her Mom's clothes from 1976 for awards day. Just today, the Master told me that when he saw me on awards day he thought I was brave. He also told me that he heard people whispering and talking about me. People have talked about me since that day until the day I graduated. It's fun being the geek with something to talk about, and with a pretty groovy accent.


I took several trips to Washington, D.C. during my middle school and high school years and on the last trip I met friends from all over the United States. I'll tell you this, they all loved our long drawn out Southern accents the best. We even beat the guys from Texas, can you believe it? My personal favorites were the two girls from Minnesota in the spirit of the Mount Rose Teen Princess Pageant.

Sorry about the recent blog hiatus, after reading Rachel's post about "blipping", I found that it's pretty common to drift in and out of the blogosphere.
Here's to dawgs, britches, swangs, Chawlstun, and Vuginyuh...we are all part of the backcountry South!


2 comments:

  1. HA. Hilarious. Nothing like a long awards day sitting on the cold cafeteria floor.

    And what are you doing in the pic by the way?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm getting really old...I mean really old. I can't remember what song I was dancing to--we'll just say it's a toss up between slow ride or low rider...had to be mainstream for the other kids to allow it.

    he he

    ReplyDelete