October 28, 2005

Moon River

The Master and I celebrated three long years together on Wednesday with a short trip to Savannah. We stayed at the lovely and spooky Marshall House Inn in downtown and enjoyed the ghost walk tour after dark.
I didn't see any specters on the tour but I heard plenty of noises in our hotel that seemed a little suspicious. We learned that the Marshall House was used as a hospital for wounded Union soldiers under General Sherman until the end of the Civil War. After being refurbished the building was then turned back into a hotel...many guests experienced different apparitions and haunts. There's tale of a ghostly tabby cat without a tail, another about a little girl and boy who play in the hallways late at night (and sometimes like to bite the guests)...I never saw any ghost children (and no twins in the hallway, thank goodness). On our last night, I awoke around 3 a.m. to loud noises across the hall. The door slamming shut, then opening again. Foosteps running down the hall and up the stairs. I was very angry because the noise woke me up, but I didn't think much else about it. The next morning I remembered all the commotion and I thought, it's a Wednesday night in a nice, upscale bed & breakfast, who in the world would be making such a ruckus at 3 a.m.? The bellhop was telling us on the elevator that the guests in room 303 (next door to us) left two days ago because of disruptions in their room. He said they were so angry they stormed out after only staying two nights. I looked at the Master and thought to myself, then who was slamming that door last night? We stayed in room 304...it also had a story. One guest heard her three year old child playing in the bathroom. She was talking to someone, as she turned the corner to check on her daughter, she asked her who she was talking to. The little girl said she was playing with the little boy in the bathtub. The lady assumed her child meant her imaginary friend and told her there was no little boy in the tub--the child said yes there is--he's right there, see! He bit me! The lady looked at her little girl's arm and there was a small bitemark underneath her upper arm. Who knew?

So while I was showering with ghostly children and sharing a hotel room with Union soldiers...the city of Savannah and all its spirits welcomed us with open arms (legs, and other limbs strewn about the city)...we visited Fiddler's Crab on River Street, The Pirates House (another haunted restaurant) and of course, Bonaventure Cemetery (at Rachel's request)...I've posted all of our photos from our spiritual experience--check them out.

The weather was perfect--a slight chill in the air, especially at dusk. The entire trip made for an excellent anniversary get away.


River street wasn't crowded with summer tourists, just a handful of visitors and the mellow sound of a saxophone in the tunnel after dark. We stopped in at Chuck's Bar for a cocktail and enjoyed more folklore from the locals...who offered their services voluntarily.

Highly recommended to those of you who have not experienced the beautifully haunted city of Savannah! (Rach, I almost drooled all over myself at the gorgeous old homes in the colonial district!)

jeepers creepers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment