November 19, 2006

Now...do, what?

Sorry to keep you waiting folks. Now, let's see...where were we? Ah! A three week hiatus found us in the small community of Homewood, Kansas (post office marked Williamsburg) just about 10 miles from Ottawa. The bossman worked his last nuke job at the Wolf Creek facility and we made the rounds after the layoff and found the village of Waverly (see photo below)--the back story on the pentagram is this--the guy who owns the muffler shop next door to the Baptist church just couldn't keep his car parts on his side of the property line....so the Baptists raised a ruckus and caused major conflict resulting in the man painting a huge pentagram on the side of his building just to piss them off...indeed it did---and to retaliate, they decided on a white cross, I think the white really sets it off.We took in a few more sites (which mainly consisted of cow pastures and more silos)...and after a toast with our friend Davey Jones, we set off for the Carolinas once again--and thirteen hours later we were in Lanford, red-eyed and ready for a nap, but of course there was no time for sleep. Our first few days of R & R were spent finishing countless chores and doing routine maintenance around the camper...finally we caught up on our sleep, emails and normal Eastern time schedule and enjoyed a couple of days with Rachel, who we had been dying to get home to see!

Also during R & R, we've acquired a few more "toys" so to speak--the first, I should go so far as to put out the pink ribbon on the awning--meet Patsy, our baby border collie. I promise better photos soon...she's bonded with the stadium chairs, so that's where she stays right now.
Dolly was apalled (of course) at the idea of having a little sister, so I asked if it would be okay if she had a niece instead, she seemed to take some offense, but after some reassurance she entertained the notion of "Aunt Dolly". Dolly is very annoyed, but that comes with the territory---and we'll all get used to Patsy's antics, and as she grows out of puppy playtime.

And finally, my newest child...Colleen. Now, before you judge and ridicule (you Bible belt thumpers and white cracker honkies) let me just say that no, I don't date boys with mullets and I don't listen to the Village People but yes, I do love my American Muscle Machine...and Colleen is a 1979 Chevrolet Camaro. If many of you even read my blog who may or may not have glanced my way during my pepperoni faced high school years, you may remember my previous Camaro (which her name was Cami, you probably didn't know this)--Cami was a 1998 black Chevy Camaro...the car I always wanted and I finally had it...I ruled.Last week on a Sunday drive in the mill village of Clifton-Glendale, I discovered Colleen sitting in a yard with flagpole flying the Confederate battle flag high above her. I knew then I needed to rescue her. I made the bossman turn around and go back...we had to go back and ask, I just had to know. The next day I went back and bought her--and drove her home!

At the present, we're still enjoying a little R & R...the bossman is trying to bust a few caps, I'm trying to hold down the awning, other than that we hope to make a few stops in Atlanta and Leakesville, Mississippi before we head out to our next job.

Happy holidays to all of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment