A new month, and again I'm wondering how all the time went by so fast...December approached us while we spent a few days visiting our new friends, Michael & Keisha, in Mississippi. Our excursion took us through the deep South and we experienced the true "heart of Dixie"--and sad to say, it was my first trip even though I too, am a Southern belle myself.
Our first stop in Newnan, Georgia, found the roof of our camper peeling back and flapping in the wind---which of course didn't help any with the bossman's good spirits for the rest of the trip. So we carried on and beared the embarrassment of children with their noses pressed against their glass as they passed by, pointing and laughing at the people with the camper and that weird, flapping, stuff on top of their camper, flying in the wind as we drove down the interstate.
We passed through Opelika, Alabama, where I took special interest due to its notarity in the film Norma Rae (and the bossman--all for Union!) I think that was the only town I could remember much about besides Auburn (Big Fish) and of course other points of interest, birthplaces of other Southern greats (Hank Williams, Lynyrd Skynyrd, and yes....Alabama).
You know...Muscle Shoals...Ft. Payne. Come on, you know the songs.
Finally we made it to Mobile and we knew we were almost to the state line, our friends met us and we followed them to Leakesville, Mississippi where they live. We enjoyed a few days with them and their wonderful girls, Kayla & Sarah! The bossman took off on a hunting trip while I got to see many sites of Mobile & Hattiesburg. (Many thanks to Keisha for being a wonderful hostess and tour guide!) The most amazing part of the visit was hearing the Katrina stories and actually seeing the landscape....and seeing what everyone had talked about. Glad we made it, and I can say I've been there. (Thanks to the Volovecky's for opening their beautiful home & yard to us!!)
So I guess you're wondering, did we make it back home and did the roof stay on? Well, yeah the roof stayed on due to some half-way work and some tarps....and we arrived in South Cackalackee the first week of December--and face R-E-P-A-I-R-S. And dread. Such is life in the camper and on the road.
More to come, stay tuned!
No comments:
Post a Comment