After yet another long trip across the Big Horns, we were privelidged to witness the 26th Annual Plains Indians Pow Wow, held in Cody. And yet another chance to prove how horrid our photography skills are. We spent the weekend in Cody surrounded by Native Americans from all over the Western states. There were at least six different tribes representing their various nations in the traditional dance competitions. We met several Arapahoe, other Navajos (and a Union pipefitter at the same time), Blackfeet, Crow and Lakota Sioux. The bossman truly enjoyed every minute along with myself...however, Dolly parked her donkey butt at the truck. If audience members are interested in Native culture and their beautiful and powerful music, check out The Rocky Boy Singers "Montana Homeland" (available on iTunes)--a perfect example of the Pow Wow musical experience.
I assume that I take after my overly-emotional Mother due to the fact that I always become a little, well okay maybe a little too sentimental during these types of gatherings. I always felt my upper lip tremble whenever we used to listen to the anthem and watch the fighter pilots fly over the Clemson games. Is this too mushy? I think so. I have a problem. I should get help. During the Pow Wow grand entry, that old familiar feeling came over me, as I was overwhelmed with...well, how should I put it...mushiness. That's the perfect word, and no other will describe my foolish behavior. All in all a fun day, we spent dinner at Cassie's, one of Cody's oldest establishments, which in the old West was known as the most notable brothel this side of the Absarokas. Nowadays it features a relaxing, upscale atmosphere with a new twist on the term "piano bar". Good steaks---when in Wyoming you must consume beef, it's a state law.
No comments:
Post a Comment