Back to the rodeo...only this time we're chute hands, and a really bad photographer. The bossman escorted one of his many Navajo friends to the Hulett Rodeo and Parade along with yours truly (and Dolly, of course) to help pull him down on a bull. Now I know that sounds odd, but if you're a real cowboy then there's no explaining it. Dex, who hails from the infamous Tempe, Arizona (remember Hi & Ed) is seen here on his first of two bull rides at the rodeo. There may be a slight view of the bossman in the background.
After a long day in the very hot, Western sun, we returned to the villa with burnt scalps and strap marks. Did I mention the ever so popular Demolition Derby that we attended the previous day? Derbies back "home" aren't quite the crowd sparker...as they are usually just held on one night of a small town county fair. However, in the great Northwest, demo derbies are all that and then some. Most of these cowfolks take this seriously---the grandstand was packed, people from each bordering state in attendance. I even heard someone behind us say, "Now that's hot"--I guess they do read Paris out here. The local high school even partakes in the action by allowing their shop students to build and drive a car in the derby--talk about community participation and support! We found our usual favorite station wagons and really found ourselves getting into the action, I think I may have yelled out in Enoree style, "Wooohooo" maybe once or twice. Who's counting?The weekends are filled with so many activities out here, but that's only in the summer...and that's hot.
No comments:
Post a Comment