The sun sets on another year and the blogger taunts me for a short reflection.
There were a lot of bumps in the road this year. The bossman and I lost two of our family members, watched another endure horrible pain and suffering. We applauded our best friend on her first home purchase. We lent a shoulder to another best friend with bad news in the barn and toasted to her engagement at the same time. We said goodbye to a great friend in Wyoming but wished her all the best for her future. With all the pitfalls, we did our best to find a way out of the cave.
We began this year's journey in Georgia and recuperated from the prior year's family fiascoes on the quiet island of Tybee. In early January we made our way north to Illinois and camped in the worst winter conditions we've ever endured. Finally after cracking the last of the ice, we packed up camp and headed west for Wyoming. For three months we enjoyed Yellowstone, Gillette, Montana, Jackson, and South Dakota. In early July we made the wrong decision to leave Wyoming and go to South Carolina. Here we were brutally attacked by RV repairmen, horrible games of something close to tennis, and matriarchal monstrosities. We dealt with our depression by spending time in Ware Shoals and confiding with close friends. After all the pain and torture we were released from the prison and drove to the Outer Banks of North Carolina. From there we decided on Beaufort as our next home and spent most of the summer lying on the beach. We enjoyed great times at the campground with our family and friends. Again we bid farewell to the state that causes us so much grief and towed our rig to Pennsylvania. For several weeks we experienced life in Espana and a short stint in southern Alabama. From there we pulled to Chicago once more and made the long drive to southern California.
Last year we made a deal with each other, that no matter what we would not go home for Christmas and endure the Hell that brought us so much grief. We kept our promise and are enjoying Christmas under the palm trees by the sea...at peace and with no horns in sight. No heavy drinking to blur the giant elephant in the room, no abuse of hard core narcotics to get through another dinner with people who don't want to be around each other, just ultimate peace and comfort. Comfort and joy. That's the song.
I miss my MaMa. I miss my Mom. Okay so I miss Big Daddy (a little). I miss Slim, Boozer, Lucy and Rebel. I miss Prince. I miss my babies, Ruthie and Colleen. But they are all safe, and we will see them all again soon.
Most of all I miss my best friend Beth. She has had her own wild rides this year, and even though she's celebrating the most wonderful engagement, I know there's a tear in her eye.
To Smokey...a best friend, and the best horse a girl could ask for.
No comments:
Post a Comment