Traveling contractors work all year long just like the average joe. The only real difference is the level of excitement or disappointment when the layoff slip arrives. In a situation that most would consider tragic; we are elated, jumping with enthusiasm as we race out the door. Such is the case with our current position and location here in Arizona. We eagerly await the layoff slip with growing anticipation. Many times we're asked why we're so happy to lose a job. I myself questioned this strange form of employment when I first joined the old man...I was very comfortable with my 9-5 and the rat race that accompanied it on the weekends. How could I ever adjust to the unstability of life on the road with scattered employment?After only two short years, I don't think I'd ever trade this gypsy caravan for the corporate ladder.
The fun really begins as soon as the job ends. We pack up the rig and head for greener pastures (which usually means somewhere in coastal California) and during our time off we delve into leisure activities involving hiking, camping, boating, and scrapping.
Above is a photo of our last scrap load that weighed in a little over 3500 lbs., where we collected our day's check of $250. Many thanks to the great people at TJ's in Gray Court, who work tirelessly everyday checking in load after load of leftover metal.
It's a tough job (and a dirty one at that) but somebody's got to do it. I guess it brings to mind Alabama's salute to the American blue collar workers...behind the scenes, right?
So after the welding hoods are laid to rest for the remainder of the winter months, we will continue to enjoy our extended vacation and the fact that scrapping is never easy.
Hey Lauren! Glad you found me! You're looking like a pro at this...I may be asking for tips as we go along! :)
ReplyDelete