
My earliest familiar was J.R., my Grandmother's ancient black cat who dominated their monstrous log cabin home on the banks of Beaverdam creek. My early fascination with magic and folk lore stems from my Celtic Christian ancestry, and as Irish-Scots luck would have it, J.R. sensed my special interest--even as an infant. Lying beneath the wood stove on a handmade quilt, J.R. cautiously watched over me. It was my very first Christmas at Grandma's house, 1981. J.R. snuggles close to me, resting his eyes when he can and perking his ears when someone steps too close to the quilt. J.R. had peculiar ways, just like any cat, but he communicated well. He lived a long life, and stayed one of my closest animal friends until he passed on during my late teens. I have one more day left as a twenty-seven year old...and I don't think I haven't changed much since my days beneath the warm wood stove, only my familiar is in the form of a black canine these days.

The wand? That's another story, for another time.
Lookie how sweeeet!!
ReplyDelete