Okay, so I'm feeling the late night effects of my latest Netflix shipment. My first choice was The Long, Hot Summer so imagine the shock factor when I switched movie modes from delightful to decay. I made the mistake of queueing the bawdy and vulgar, The Libertine. I admit, being one of Depp's biggest fans ( we go way back ), I fearlessly rented with the assurance it would be a quality film. Okay, so it was...I mean the film was raunchy and titillating to a pornographic extreme--even for King Charles. I guess where I'm going here is my complete surprise and admiration for the make-up department on this film. Can we do that raise the roof thing?
As a long time fan of vampires and morbid, rotting characters--I always gave Tom Cruise top pot for his festering flesh in Interview With A Vampire. Boy was I wrong. Tertiary syphilis is NOT a pretty sight, especially in its final stages. Don't mess with Johnny girls, he is one decomposing dude in this flick. So in my opinion, Depp takes top honors here for the most gruesome facials...he's literally falling apart. Maybe what makes him so frightening is the white make-up, black wig and silver proboscis piece. I think I really lost it during the death scene. He looks so much like the crawler creatures from The Descent...he'd lost all human resemblance. Forget Freddy, forget Jason when he first crawled out of the lake, forget them all.Skol to Johnny for scaring the hell out of me last night.
No comments:
Post a Comment