Sometimes texting doesn't cut it, so I went the extra mile for some face to face contact. I drove from Richmond last weekend to see my only child play football. It does seem weird, having an almost eighteen year old son when I'm only twenty-something myself. Anywho, he's a a star player on my Alma Mater's football team, who have an excellent chance at winning state this year. It's been a long time since we've seen a state championship, so I along with my family, came out in full force to support him and his team on Friday night. I never ever thought I'd return to a high school football game, but like they always say (and by the way, who are they?)...we chose the Clinton game since it was a big rival during the nineties. Okay I'm giving away my age now.
I was surrounded by Raider alumni, but we still had a fun time. We had a small family reunion in our 50 yard line section which made the trip worth even more. After the extremely close game, we headed to the field to congratulate my hero and I got a big sweaty hug from my mammoth offensive lineman. I still have a hard time believing he was ever five years old...they grow up so fast. I even wore Steve's old state champion jersey from '75 (we still can't figure out who he stole it from) for good luck...it probably jinxed the game since the score was so close, but that's lapo luck as usual.
All in all, it was a good trip and I'm glad I made the effort to push myself into a sea of horrible high school memories in order to watch my kid play a good game.
Your such a good mom! :O)
ReplyDeleteHa ha! Thanks, I think he turned pretty well myself. :o)
ReplyDelete