January 19, 2012

First Pleasures

I'm one day closer to regaining what may be left of my sanity. I should have titled this post, "We're not gonna take it" with a little picture of Dee Snyder in the courtroom. I guess I know how Vlad the Impaler felt....after fighting that long battle against the Turks for the Christians, only to be cast out after cursing his wife's death. (Okay, so maybe that's the Bram Stoker version, but it's still good). Why are we fighting to begin with? Was Jesus a wealthy politician who wore sweater vests, always used a coozie while wearing Wayfarer shades? Was He always on a golf course, or a pleasure cruise pontoon down at the lake? Did He prefer Las Vegas showgirls and casinos? What about a member of some fraternity or service organization? I wonder if He ever sat "Chairman" of some church committee. I wonder if He ever made a woman feel uncomfortable.

I don't think so.

I know Jesus was a humble soul with a heart made of something beyond solid gold, something we'll never understand. I know He befriended folks who wouldn't be allowed in church. I know He would be my friend. I know he would understand, and I know He wouldn't hide, cower, or lie. He would speak the truth (while turning over a few tables at the same time).

My first experience working at a "church" has been almost a sort of investigation, a project to see "Do they really put HIM first?" Or is it about the politics, the money, the power?
Yes, it's about those three. Granted, there are good apples among bad. I'm just learning that a bad bunch can sour the taste of any good ones left.

So long hypocrisy and deceit! I'm heading for greener pastures--shooting the breeze with a really cool carpenter who won't mind stilettos, tattoos or piercings.

No comments:

Post a Comment